Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Recurring theme....

I was on a home visit to a senior lady this morning.
She has alot going on in her life and she is sad all the time.
Her husband who has been sick in the hospital for many months passed away recently and she keeps telling me of the ongoing problems of her son, who is going through a divorce right now.
She asks me how my family is (my parents) and if I have a bf. I dont mind when she asks me this.
"naw naw I dont" I say
"Well it better that way, yes it better, dont get one, you are better off"
I kinda chuckle, "Oh really? Thats good to hear that I'm better off then"
"Im serious, it nothin but problems, it no good"
"oh no, Im sorry to hear that. I havent found a good guy yet" I say.
"If you find, you better not look for looks, that bad..." She motions her hand over her face ".... It better to look for this", she says as she points to her head.
I look at her for a second "brains?" (I'm not too sure what she means)
"Someone with a good head, looks they come and go, same with money, but if he have a good head and he good to you, that is the way to go"

Somehow this theme keeps repeating itself to me.

I was talking with a gf the other day and we discussed my choices/dilema. It was a good talk, I know what I need to do but dont know how to go about saying it (see post below).
Then the subject of my mom came up, about her having 2 proposals to choose from, and how practical she was in making her decision. Yada Yada - I think at this point I know I cannot compare, cause in many ways my mother and I are very different people. I think I have a battle between my highly emotional side and practical logical side. My mother is more practical. In so much I had to one day ask her "so when was it then that you became attracted to dad?" Her answer was simply "He was a good man, what more do you want?" Though, in discussing her situation, one thing my mother said about her decision stuck in my head even though she kinda said it in passing:

"I chose the man who would not hurt me"

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger M+ said...

Why does that seem like such a simple trait to desire, but so difficult to find?

5:20 PM  
Blogger Anny said...

your mom is right! so was mine. but i think it's something that u learn yourself when u get hurt enuf times. unfortch, yes, i speak from experience. but if someone had told me that before i'd gotten hurt, it wouldn't have meant as much to me.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home