Thursday, July 20, 2006

Singles Online Crap!

Ok so update on that ol' Eharmony thingy I joined a while back.

Its a crock of crap!
Yesserie.
I ended that around March sometime.
My friend who origionally joined it went out with someone from there who seemed nice but it didnt work out. My other friend kept getting matches that were totally off from what she entered in (ie. divorced or guys with kids) and she even got matched with a profile that was a bunch of jibberish!! yes : "ajdef fakhfoaf k ahfkdfalhfonlfj" = jibberish! I thought they screen those things?! I mean, Eharmony's extensive accurate process is so tedious that you are even lucky if you get matched with anyone, then when you do get matched it feels that Eharmony is soo off the mark! Thing is, you cant even browse profiles and choose for yourself - you have to sit there and wait as they trickle in. Funny thing is - when I origionally made a profile, I immediately recieved quite a few matches - every day. So after looking at those I decided to fork up the dough and join. Then the matches got less and less. And amoung the matches the Canucks seemed -very few and well, kinda wierd. (ie. What would you like to accomplish in your lifetime? His answer: Enlightenment.... okaaay.)
And so I ended up talking to a few American guys. I talked to this really nice cute guy - even though he lived in Pennsylvania.... (btw, for some strange reason I am thinking there seems to be alot of cute guys from Pennsylvania).
The thing about him was that we talked for a while giving each other really long emails and even pictures of our travels, and not once did he ask to see my picture (I did not have a picture on my profile). So since he didnt ask I decided to show him a couple.... all was going well but alas there is only so much more you can say without actually meeting and that kinda fizzled away - Yawn.
So that is the end of that. I had enough of it. After I ended my membership I had absolutely no matches at all! When you end it they really boot you out, thanks Eharmony! Sheesh.

Now, after all that I feel I got suckerd into it again. Ya I'm usually above being burned twice but tonight is ouchy #2! AAAH I blame my boredom.
A friend of mine joined Americansingles.com. With this site you see your matches and can also browse around. He showed me a few of his matches and after a while I decided to make a profile. No pic. I know looks dont matter, and yet they do, but I prefer not to post it intially. And being the weird me that I am, I kind of judge guys that ask you about how you look right off the bat. I mean, asking for a pic right away when it already describes me anyways on my profile.... Just seems alittle - superficial?! Maybe I'm picky about it. Mind you, I dont mind showing my pic at all on the singles site - I mean its only fair right? But I just dont want it to be the first thing guys care about.....I like some depth.

I was slightly impressed with the amount of matches on American singles and it didnt make the Canuck guys seem so bad hehe. Then there was this one guy who caught my eye.....after reading his profile I was intrigued!
Even my sister in law, who I showed his profile to, asked "So are you gonna post a pic? ...... or are you just going to meet him and..... BHAM!....." She said in her best Emeril voice ".......you just gonna wow him with you in person?". hehe. "Ya that is what I was hoping to do ;) !! " I said jokingly. "Naw, I figured I would like to see if he likes my personality or at least we get along abit first."
I decided (as a non-member at the time) to 'click yes' on his profile so he would know I was interested. Next day he 'clicked yes' to mine ! And he even emailed me too! .... but being a non-member I couldnt read his email..........see where I am going with this ?

His email sat there for over a week - calling me...... read me ..... read me..... I'm cute ..... and love watching the Food Channel too! READ ME ......... hummm should I join should I not? He seems pretty nice! Yes , No, Not again, Maybe......

Ya, anyways, tonight I joined and finally read his email!

Guess what he said?!

Guess what he said on his first email to me to introduce himself!



Go on......



Guess!





"Hey there, thanks for checking out my profile... care to share a pic? :P"

WTF?

I paid 60$ for that?!

...........

Update: while I was posting this I was logged on to american singles in the background. I just got an IM from some other guy on there.

Dan: hi there
me: hi how are you?
Dan: fine thank's you
Me: ok thanks. I had this on in the background and didnt realize it was on until I heard your IM
Dan: o sorry you busy
Me: ya you should be shhhhh .... :)just kiddin!
Dan: i found your profile interesting and was wondering if you have picture's
(obiously he doesnt have much humor? Straight for the pic question)
Me: hummm i guess they didnt post it yet
Me: I put one up tonight but its not showing then

( I really did post one up tonight)
Dan: ok
Dan: if i gave you my email address could you send some to me

(overly anxious huh?)
Me: maybe
Me: do you have yahoo?

Dan: no
Me: well ....my pic will be up soon anyhow or do you really want me to email you it?
Dan: yes -------@hotmail.com
Me: whats the rush ?
Dan: just want to see who i am talking too
Me: okay. so you dont want to talk until you see my pic ?
(By now Im thinking that he thinks Im hiding and I am fugly or something)
Dan: well you are seeing mine right
Me: i'll close my eyes and type ....
(After a long long pause we wrote at the same time...)
Dan: ok
Me: ok that was a joke. hello?
- I saw him writing abit but then he just logged off after that.

Wuss!

Oh man. Great - now I'm stuck with this site for 3 months!

If I ever sign up again someone PLEASE SHOOT ME!
wait - didnt I say this before?.....

8 Comments:

Blogger The Dummy said...

D'oh!

Let me get you a squirt gun or something so you could shoot yourself and cool off at the same time. :)

2:59 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Yes, we are a handsome bunch down here in PA.
Ya know... sometimes it's nice to see the person your chatting with. Besides, the descriptions can be somewhat deceptive. I know this from experience. And that's why I ask for pictures. I'm not being superficial, just cautious.
Otherwise, I'm sorry to hear things aren't going so well for you on the dating scene. They'll get better, I'm sure of it. Things are improving for me, and that's no small miracle. Good luck.

5:27 PM  
Blogger ~Moi~ said...

DD: Yep Im thinking of even taking a break from here cause this blog is making me think too much of my singleness :P

M+: Thanks, its true there are weirdos out there and fake profiles so it is good to be cautious. However my point is, I dont think that it looks too great on the guy in my view if that is absolutely the first thing they ask about. (ie. "hi there do you have a pic?") Well, I'll ride out my membership then I think I will quit even looking haha - maybe even make another blog about something totally different........ we'll see :)

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give this up. It makes me realize I am not alone in the search

2:13 AM  
Blogger M+ said...

I understand your plight. You want a man who's going to get to know you as a person and not just see you as the "hottie" in the profile pic. And I think that's the best way to go. But in my own experience, people are not always honest about their own appearance - perhaps not to themselves either.
Also, you mention Yahoo (which is the service I've been using) and their profile descriptors are somewhat "lacking". I could probably do a very long post about my issues with that. But I won't.
Just don't give up, yet. There are plenty of guys out there who are willing to get to know you as a person, without the picture. We're just few and far between.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laughs. Just when I was thinking that maybe I should join the site as well. Good to rethink this.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Anny said...

awww. the perils of online dating. :(

10:22 PM  
Blogger mark said...

I knew someone that tried eharmony. She got so sick of the back and forth without ever meeting that she quit. I think asking for a pic is the new cyber pick up line.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home