Thursday, March 16, 2006

I said I wouldnt

talk more about Eharmony.
But I just had to say this
(ya ya I'm still on it with no luck - sheesh - I am coming very close to closing this thing soon)
I am emailing this guy on there right now and he said in his last email:

"I just was on E-har looking at our email history and I noticed your pictures are posted. I hope you arent offended when I say that you are very attractive... "

Ahem..... ok other than the fact I am tooting my own horn with this post .... hehe....

2 things to note:
1) I found it interesting that he would think that I would be offended? Can you imagine? "You think I'm what??!! Why you Bastard! How dare you think such awwwful and disgusting vile things!!!" hehe
2) And what is more interesting is that - my response would naturally be to make excuses for his compliment! Something like:
"Oh well thanks but those are only the good pictures - I do have some uglier ones though so dont think I look like that always!" (no, I did not say this btw)
or
"yes those were taken on my 'good days' - you really dont want to see me on my 'bad days' - but maybe then you would get a better perspective on how I really look like" (and no, I didnt say this either)
or any other "Thanks, BUT......" answers.

I have no idea why is it I cannot take a compliment for what it is?
I'm sure it has something to do with self confidence. Or am I unconciously 'fishing' for more compliments? Or maybe it is because Im just sooooo wonderfully and incredibly humble - yes yes this must be it ! (stop laughing!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Anny said...

i AM laughing :) and i think it right to simply say "thank you."

although it would be REALLY funny to actually say, "i know, right?"

6:21 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Some people aren't sure how such a compliment will go over. It's as if they think it sounds shallow. So we're careful about saying something like "You're really pretty", or such. We don't want others to think that it's just about looks.
We deflect the compliments because we don't want to sound arrogant. "Oh! Yes. I AM sooooo beautiful. And I never have bad breath either." How well would that go over with someone? Besides, there's nothing worse than an attractive person who really knows they're attractive, and isn't afraid to tell anyone.
And, of course, the only appropriate response to such a compliment is "Yeah, but you should see me when I first wake up.". It'll keep them guessing...

10:24 PM  
Blogger ~Moi~ said...

Anny: true. I chose the former answer. And stop laughing - I am soooo wonderfully humble - yes indeed I am ! hehe

M+ : ok I see how he could have been thinking - not wanting to be shallow - makes sense! Whew thanks for the male perspective. I can see why some men think talkin to women is like walking on egg shells :p
*checks breath* (HaaaaHH HaaaaaHH) check! its minty fresh! hehe

3:16 PM  
Blogger M+ said...

Aaaaah, yes. The absolute picture of humility.
Minty you say? I thought for sure it'd be cinnamony. You being so spicy and all...

8:50 PM  
Blogger ~Moi~ said...

yes humility.
toot toot lol

2:12 AM  
Blogger The Dummy said...

'Thank you!' is a nice way to start - and that's it! You definitely deserved it if someone took the time and risk to tell you something nice like that.

2:58 PM  
Blogger canadian sadie said...

You're so brave to do the E-Harmony thing...I'm such a coward!

Compliments are hard to take, but I've been working hard at just saying 'Thank-you', smiling demurely, and moving on. It's much classier, although still horrifyingly embarassing.

Nice blog. :)

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home